I got an awesome ivory colored silk bubble dress from Crossroads for $7. I loved it for a while, but soon, it was collecting dust in my closet. So, I decided to turn it into a DIY project. The best part of the dress was the bubble hem…so I kept it and turned this dress into a bubble skirt. All I had to do was cut off the top and sew an elastic waistband…and TA DA!
A new skirt!
- Cut the skirt to the desired length.
- Sew a basic stitch along the edge of the fabric to keep the material and lining together
- Iron down a 0.5″ fold. Then fold down a 1.5″ seam and iron.
- Stitch down on the seam but leave a 2″ gap for the elastic to go through.
- Using 1″ thick elastic, thread it through the pocket and sew it together to create the waistband. If necessary, stitch down the elastics to waistband at certain intervals to prevent it from flipping over.
- Stitch the pocket where the elastic went through. Adjust the gathers.
After the DIY
I’m pretty happy with the way the skirt turned out. It ended up being more of a high-waisted skirt than I thought, but I kind of like that quality. Perhaps in the future, I can shorten it a bit, but for now, it’s my new love!